Long story short , fluorescent yellow is the new black (or is it blue)…
- looking for my snowboard Smith variable-brim helmet yellow-fi mod ? click here to check that out
- or the bataleon “the jam” snowboard MetalSlug custom skin here Create Your Own Snowboard Graphics with epicboardskins.com
My second hand bought Burton C02’s (2006 C02’s) were in need of a rethink/new purchase, not only were they already a bit scratched up from the previous ebay owner but they lacked the new look or a fresh coat of colour.. tattered black is boring me now; I was in the process of customising the snowboard graphics (more on this soon!check back here for link) and thought why not change the bindings too. Out with boring park-battered c02’s say hello to eye blinding colours on the slope.
I had first decided upon vehicle vinyl to cover the bindings with but soon realised its quite a slog due to the very tight angles on the bindings. Wasting more vinyl wasnt worth it,but spray paint could actually be quicker and give better milleage in the longterm.
Theres some great colours out ther from plasticote and rustoleum . i found the flourescnet section drawing me in like a moth.. so i choose yellow high glow matt + the uv/sealent protector in matt clear . And not forgetting the matt primer which will help cover the strong gloss black of the C02’s and brighten the yellow that bit more.
……… disassemble…………>…..masking……….> …….prime./yellow coats……… >……clear uv sealent coat…………. > ……final curing…….>………reassemble …….>>—-final pics.DONE.
the usual suspects
I placed the cans in a basin(or bucket if you want) with warm<>hot water to aid the flow of paint (so says manufacturer ) as I was in the freezing cold this made shaking the ball in the can that bit easier.. and I say that its been super easy layering the coats of each can-no spitting or weird sized drops so itsa definite good thing to keep them indoors or warmed up in water whilst waiting for next coat type .
P.s use some latex gloves and 3M nose/mouth mask -even in a well vented area is was potent …
Here are the bindings with separated parts before the vinyl test which decided in the end not to go with.(but for decal/area masking its quite a useful thing to use instead of tape as it removes cleanly)
Before it got totally covered in day-glow yellow I decided that the 3M vinyl leftovers from my first attempt still had some use left in them.. so I heated them up and stuck some onto where the burton logos were situated on the sides so that later-on once I peel it off and the maksing tape I’ll have a nice black glossy shape on each side showing the brand whilst the rest was super yellow.
come on barbie lets go parteee.
So we start with covering all the delicate foot sponges and b3 gell areas -dont want paint on those! And trimming with a hobby knife the tape along the soft gell part round the back heel. After removing all screws and toecaps / ankle straps we’re good to go for the first coats of white matt primer.
I love the smell of aerosol in the morning
You had me at ‘hello.’or is it yellllooow
but after several coats it will get a bit more colourful,also looks glossy here in this pic above – thats true at first application – but soon appears more matt as it dries ,just do them very thin but many coats looks better, less drip marks etc
Once one bind was mid way thorough its final yellow coats , now would be a good time to start priming the other bind ,this way you keep your cans a shakin and the paint flowing helping keep the nozzles from clogging and getting an even-lookin layer in one swipe. (keep about 20-30 cm away).
When one dries you do another coat on the other and rince+repeat until they’re both in full killbill yellow ! Your then ready for clear matt coat of uv sealant to protect the colour from uv/weather -dont forget its going to be under snow and sun-rays most of its life after all!
each bind got about 5-7 prime matt coats followed by 5-10 yellow matt high glow coats then finished with 4-7 clear matt coats
and dry overnight to 24 hrs for full curing.
will add pics of uv sealed finished bindings when I remove the vinyl areas tomorrow …. to be continued (current progress in bold)
……… disassemble…………>…..masking……….> …….prime./yellow coats……… >……clear uv sealent coat…………. > ……final curing…….>………reassemble …….>DONE.
Update: Still curing but indoors now on a radiator to speed things up
Burton avengers assemble
its starting to look like a binding now .. all it needs is a bit of 3m di noc carbon fibre vinyl where the old metallic heel trim used to be.(they were too damaged to be worth putting back on )
heres one trim cut out of 3m di noc carbon. its taking shape now.
so thats it more or less.. things id tweak in the process are even thinner coats done over two days not one,(cant help rushing it along..)
so instead of buying a new pair for the flashy new season colour bindings , just spend some £15-25 on spray paints (my binds needed some vinyl for the trims so that might add another £10 and half day + night of painting and curing and you have some slick pair of binds for your next hols.. cant wait to get on them and see how they look around 330pm on the mountain when dusk approaches !